Higher Education Law
- Out of the Jungle - Thoughts on the present and future of legal information, legal research, and legal education.
- Inside Higher Education - Source for news about higher education.
- EDUCAUSE - Nonprofit association whose mission is to advance higher education by promoting the intelligent use of information technology.
- Institute for Higher Education and Governance - The Institute has undertaken significant research in higher education law and governance.
- Council on Law in Higher Education - An independent nonprofit organization designed for higher education leaders that want to stay informed of public policy and legal issues.
- Center for Excellence in Higher Education Law and Policy - Contains archived materials from past National Conferences for Law and Higher Education. The Center's is designed to advance the field of higher education law and policy.
- National Association for College and University Attorneys (NACUA) - Purpose is to enhance legal assistance to colleges and universities by educating attorneys and administrators to the nature of campus legal issues. It has an equally important role to play in the continuing legal education of university counsel. It is mostly a members' only site but you can access certain documents and legal links under the Legal Reference Service.
- American Council on Education (ACE) - Seeks to provide leadership and a unifying voice on key higher education issues and to influence public policy through advocacy, research, and program initiatives.
- Council for the Advancement of Standards (CAS) - CAS promotes standards in student affairs, student services, and student development programs in higher education. The resources link provides documents relating to the advancement of higher education.
- University Risk Management and Insurance Association - Promotes the advancement and application of effective risk management principles and practices in institutions of higher education. It is the preeminent source of innovative and effective solutions to the challenges facing institutions of higher education in the pursuit of their academic, social and economic goals. It is mostly a members' only site but you can access their Useful Links section located under the Resources tab.
- Association of College and University Policy Administrators - ACUPA is an informal association of professionals who formed a network to discuss college and university policy issues. Its mission is explore both the policy process on college and university campuses as well as to discuss specific policy issues.
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators - NASPA, student affairs administrators in higher education, is the leading voice for student affairs administration, policy and practice and affirms the commitment of student affairs to educating the whole student and integrating student life and learning.
- American Association of University Professors - AAUP's purpose is to advance academic freedom and shared governance, to define fundamental professional values and standards for higher education, and to ensure higher education's contribution to the common good. The Publications and Research tab provides a variety of resources outlining the fundamental professional values of the profession. Additionally, the Issues in Higher Education tab provides an insight into the resources available on such issues such as academic freedom and academic research.
- National Collegiate Athletic Association - Bylaws Manual for each division can be downloaded.
- Department of Education - Website includes final and proposed regulations, news, information on programs, statistics and more.
- Department of Justice Civil Rights Division - the Section on Coordination and Review has information on Title IX and Title VI including detailed legal manuals dealing with these topics.
- Search by Topic - Education Law
How to Access: Sign on to Lexis - Click on Research System (2nd Tab) - Area of Law by Topic - View more sources - Click on Education Law.
- Search by Topic or Headnote - Education Law
How to Access: Sign on Lexis - Click on Research System (2nd Tab) - Search by Topic or Headnote (2nd Tab) - Education Law. The Education Law covers laws and regulations that govern federal and state education, including administration and operation of educational institutions; school athletics; discrimination in educational institutions; faculty and staff; instruction methods, programs, and materials; and student matters.
- Search by Topic - Education
How to Access: Sign on to Westlaw - Click on Directory - Topical Practice Areas - Education
- Bepress Legal Depository - network of law-related research materials. Search the repository or browse working paper series by University or Association or by Subject. Access to Bepress is through the Miami Law Library webpage. Click on Subscription Databases and scroll down until you find Bepress.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education - The Chronicle web site includes the current edition of the weekly Chronicle of Higher Education, daily news updates and a searchable archive of the Chronicle dating back to 1995. Access to the Chronicle is through Miami Law Library webpage. Click on Subscription Databases and scroll down until you find The Chronicle of Higher Education.
There are a number of databases accessible through the Richter Library which may be beneficial for this course. Richter has a list of education-related databases and also a subject guide to educational resources. Two of the more popular databases are:
- ERIC Database - A complete bibliography of educational materials available since 1966. Indexes published and unpublished sources on thousands of educational topics, with information from RIE (Resources in Education) and CIJE (Current Index to Journals in Education).
- National Center for Education Statistics - The NCES, U.S. Department of Education, is the primary federal government source of statistics and data studies describing the condition of American education, and education activities internationally.
The law reviews/journals listed here are not an exhaustive list but merely an introduction to the variety of journals available in this particular area of the law.
- Anderson's Ohio School Law Guide - available in Lexis
- Brigham Young University Education and Law Journal - available in print, HeinOnline, Lexis, Westlaw
- Clinical Law Review - available in print, HeinOnline, Lexis, Westlaw
- Higher Education Law Bulletin - available in print
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Law Report - available in print (Call No. KF4210.A6 E381 - Treatise Collection)
- The Journal of College and University Law - available in print, Westlaw
- Journal of Law & Education - available in print, HeinOnline, Lexis, Westlaw
- Journal of Legal Education - available in print, HeinOnline, Westlaw
- Rapp, Education Law - available in Lexis
- School Law News - available in print (at Richter, Call No. KF4102.S3), Lexis
- School Law Reporter - available in print
To find more treatises on higher education law, search Baron under keyword higher education.
- William A. Kaplin and Barbara A. Lee. The law of higher education: a comprehensive guide to legal implications of administrative decision making - Call No. KF4225 .K36 2006 - Treatise Collection
- Contemporary issues in higher education law - Call No. KF4225 .C66 2005 - Treatise Collection
- Joan Gould Friend, Barbara Judy, and Virginia Reilly. The ADA coordinator's guide to campus compliance - Call No. KF4244.P58 F75 2005 - Treatise Collection
- Martin Michaelson, Elizabeth B. Meers, and Alexander E. Dreier. Race-conscious financial aid and other diversity-enhancing programs: Legal developments for colleges and universities - Call No. LB2340.5 .M53 2005 - Treatise Collection
- Colleges, code, and copyright: the impact of digital networks and technological controls on copyright and the dissemination of information in higher education - Call No. Z674 .A75 2005 - Treatise Collection
- The colleges and the courts; recent judicial decisions regarding higher education in the United States - Call No. KF4225 .C53 - Treatise Collection
- The chronicle of special education law: cases and commentary - Call No. KF4209.3 .C57 2002 - Treatise Collection
- West's Education Law Reporter - Education cases decided in the United States Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals, United States District Courts, State Appellate Courts - available in Core A Collection.
- Andrews Disability Litigation Reporter - provides coverage of litigation on a wide range of disability topics and issues, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, discrimination, education, employment, housing, public accommodations, architectural barriers, and insurance - available in Westlaw