Miami Law Disability Services

Frequently Asked Questions About Admissions

Home   >  Disability Services   >  Frequently Asked Questions About Admissions

I would like to obtain accommodations for the LSAT. What should I do?

Contact the Law School Admissions Council for more information on requesting accommodations for the LSAT.

Law School Admission Council
Phone: 215-968-1001
Fax: 215-968-1119

I was told that I should not disclose my disability on my application to law school because it would hurt my chances. Is that true?

No. The University of Miami School of Law admissions process is free of discrimination. If you feel that sharing your disability may help the committee to understand and interpret your academic record and/or application, please feel free to do so. This information will not be disclosed other than to the ODS, should you be admitted.

I was told that I should disclose my disability on my application because there is a quota for students with disabilities and I may get preferential treatment. Is that true?

No. The University of Miami School of Law admissions process is free of discrimination. Spots are not reserved for disabled applicants and no preferential treatment is given to students with disabilities.

My academic record does not accurately reflect my potential. What can I do?

You are encouraged to include information in your application which explains why your credentials may not fully indicate your potential, including changes in medications, accidents or the timing of a diagnosis and treatment plan as they relate to academic performance on the LSAT.

Is it possible to get out of required courses due to my disability?

No. The Law School has a curriculum that does not allow for course waiver. After the first year, the Law School curriculum is flexible enough so that students may self-select into courses that most reflect their learning needs. It is important to note that written and oral advocacy are core requirements that must be demonstrated to obtain a law degree.

How do I apply for accommodations through the Office of Disability Services?

Stop by The Office of Disability Services to speak with Iris Morera, Disability Services Coordinator. The Office of Disability Services is located on the 4th floor of the Law Library, G488. You can also call 305-284-9907 to schedule an appointment or visit their website for more information.

Should I disclose my disability to the Admissions Office, or can I wait and talk to the Disability Services Coordinator once classes have begun?

This will be entirely your decision. There are, however, sound reasons why you may want to consider disclosing a disability. Should you anticipate needing special assistance during law school, advance notice to the school will allow The Office of Disability Services time to make the necessary arrangements. It is better to get this taken care of before classes have begun, so that you can direct all of your attention to your course work. Also, students who plan to request accommodations on a bar exam should note that demonstrating a history of past accommodations is most helpful.

I cannot afford to get documentation for my disability. Is there any plan that would let me purchase assistive technology to be used for my studies?

Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 305-284-3115 if there is a need for additional funds to pay for documentation for your disability or equipment that relates to educational goals. The expense can often be built into your student budget.

What health benefits are available to Law School students should I need to see a local physician or specialist?

All full-time students are charged for health insurance through the University of Miami. This insurance coverage begins on August 15th and will cover you until the following year on August 14. Please visit their website to learn information about insurance coverage. You will be able to get your primary care at the Student Health Center. The Health Center is conveniently located on campus at 5513 Merrick Drive. They can be reached by phone 305-284-9100 or e-mail If necessary they would provide you with referrals for specialists.

I'm feeling really stressed out about my upcoming exams and I need someone to talk to, what resources are available?

The Dean of Students, Janet Stearns, or Assistant Dean for Professional Development, William VanderWyden, are always available to students who need support. However, if you require more intensive services, the Counseling Center has professionals who are familiar with law students. All full-time students are eligible for counseling services. The Counseling Center is located at 5600 George Merrick Drive, Hughes House, Bldg. 21, Suite R. Please call 305-284-5511 to schedule an appointment.

Am I guaranteed the same accommodations that I received in undergraduate school?

No. Students must first comply with the requirements set forth in the documentation guidelines. Once the documentation is evaluated, the School of Law will be notified of the approved accommodations for that student. The approved accommodations may or may not reflect past accommodations.

What do I do if my accommodation request is denied because of "Insufficient Documentation"?

Review the documentation guidelines specific to your disability to make sure that your paperwork reflects all the information that is requested. Speak to your treating professional so they can include any information that was missing.

Do I approach my professor personally and tell them that I have a disability or can you discuss my issues with them on my behalf?

This will be entirely your decision. At the School of Law, The Office of Disability Services typically handles all arrangements with students directly and without informing the faculty member of the identity of the accommodated student. Therefore, the Office of Disability Services will not disclose any information about your disability without your written authorization. The Office of Disability Services will work with you to provide in-class and final examination accommodations as needed. In a few instances (such as in-class quizzes or Summer Abroad examinations) it maybe necessary to coordinate those accommodations with the faculty member, but these instances are not common.

If I need a handicap parking sticker and I am from another state how do I go about getting one?

You can apply for a Disabled Parking Placard at any Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle office. The form is also available online here Application for Disabled Person Parking Permit.

Will my classmates know that I have a disability?

The Office of Disability Services will not disclose any information about you, your disability or your identity to your classmates. Even when The Office of Disability Services request that your classmates serve as notetakers, they provide the office with the notes without knowing the name of the students who will be receiving them. You will be taking your accommodated examination in a room separate from your classmates, and so they should not know that you are receiving any accommodations.


Diversity Honor Roll

PDF iconCounseling Center Information


Video iconYouTube: National Association of Law Students with Disabilities (NALSWD) Conference Videos


Sarah Klein, a Student Development Director at Miami Law who works closely with students with disabilities to provide them with counseling and resources, was awarded the 2010 Dr. Robert Greenberg Award for Innovation by the Career Opportunities for Students with Disabilities (COSD). Read more.