University of Miami School of Law, on the move
Dean and Professor of Law Patricia D. White has started an array of new initiatives during her leadership and was named the most influential woman in legal education by the National Jurist in 2012 and also named to their 2013 list. Recent initiative highlights include:
New Innovative Short Courses
Taught by experts from around the world, Miami Law offers innovative compressed courses.
More Interdisciplinary Joint Degrees
- J.D./LL.M. in Entertainment, Arts & Sports
- J.D./M.A. in Arts Presenting & Live Entertainment Management
- J.D./M.S.Ed. in Science in Education in Law, Community and Social Change
- J.D./Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Policy
- J.D./Masters in Music Business and Entertainment Industries
- J.D./Masters in Communications
- J.D./M.P.A. in Law and Public Administration
- J.D./M.D. program in Law and Medicine
- As well as triple degree offerings for undergraduate business majors – J.D./M.B.A./ LL.M. in Taxation or Real Property – three degrees which can be earned in just four years.
More Hands-On Training
Other programs with hands-on training that have been started include:
- A greatly expanded externship program
- Legal Communication and Research Skills course is taught by full-time instructors who guide students in conducting sophisticated legal analysis, and drafting legal documents geared to the reality of practice, thereby becoming effective communicators on all levels.
- Litigation Specialization Certificate Program for students thinking seriously about becoming a litigator/trial lawyer.
- For students interested in public service and pro bono advocacy Dean White has added clinics in Immigration, Human Rights, Health Rights, and Investor Rights
Increased International Exchange Offerings
If learning more about international law is of interest, Miami has added several new study abroad options in Versailles, France; Berlin and Hamburg, Germany; Zurich, Switzerland; Haifa, Israel; Dublin, Ireland; Spain; China; and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
More Innovative Programs
In terms of innovative courses, Miami Law boasts LawWithoutWalls™ and The Idea of the Hospital – offerings that provide a multidisciplinary perspective to complex issues. Further Dean White actively supports Miami's LL.M. in International Arbitration (headed by one of the world's most powerful international arbitrators, Jan Paulsson).
Expanded Commitment to Students' Well Being
- In Miami's Student Development Program staff members (all of whom hold law degrees) connect with law students individually and work with them one-on-one to find greater success, satisfaction, and happiness during their law school years.
- In the AskUs Program post-graduate fellows are available to answer student questions about Miami Law and to implement new programs, systems and services to better the law student experience.
- We are also the first law school in the country to establish a Mindfulness in Law Program as part of our commitment to preparing students at the highest levels of academic excellence and legal expertise while providing the tools to maintain a fulfilling work-life balance.